Monday 1 September 2014

Racism and the Zambian: much more pathetic and stupid than we all think

Let me be honest: I love to party and blow money when I have it. I always tell myself that though I am in a third world country, I do not let that limit my imagination nor the amount of fun I can have.

The worst part of partying in Zambia is that you can literally grade all the clubs and possible hangout places depending on budget and expected company. For instance, I know where to take a ghetto ass sister and where to take a more mannered friend. Depending on the depth of my purse, I can go to places who over charge on their beers ( one would think they order beers brewed in gold pots) and places that almost give them out for free,
Ok let me just cut this thing short: certain places in Zambia are highly racist. Simply put: I believe certain places will give priority to the white people first and then your black ass can be considered. Depending on how you look, some places will also give priority to a weave wearing woman with a fake Dior handbag before they let a person with a natural kink enter..but then again there are places which prefer the 'laid back black person who dresses like a white person (whatever that means) in before they let a person who may not have the right type of accent in.

I speak from experience. And the worst part is that the people who are the most racist are black people towards black people. I am sick and tired of black men and women who work in these clubs and restaurants looking down on the black people. Dude, it is a freaking service and not a privilege. I don't get why they act like we owe them something: my tips pay their rentals anyways. It is so unfair that they look down on the black people.

I realised this got out of hand the day I hit the club with a bunch of white and black friends. We all looked like we were ready to pose as poster kids for a Martin Luther King advert. Special preference was definitely given to my white friends, followed by me who happened to be the black girl with attitude. However, a couple of our black friends were not let in. Worse, the door bouncer came up with all sorts of excuses not to let them in. I knew something was terribly wrong when the white kids were the ones who spotted the injustice and started the complaints. Ar first I just stood there in shock. The same thing happened a few minutes later when we went to the second club. At this point, I was ready to explode. Worse, no one bothered to ask for the white kid's ID but jumped on the black ones. People please! My head came off when one of the bouncers pushed my black friends out of the way and told them to back off, while simultaneously letting in a bunch of baby faced Indians who looked like they were conceived at a Justin Beiber concert..

My point is: it is not fair when black people pick on black people. It is ridiculous and should not even be called racism but stupidity. It is also plain ignorance and poor judgement. There are a few things that  I think fuels this black on black hatred

  1. Black people in Zambia think white people have more money than black people and will therefore spend more. On behalf of all white people, this is total garbage. I have hang out with some white people who were struggling as much as I was to pay for their beers, especially if they are volunteers. Expect that from old ass white people in construction. But then no one bothers to check their IDs
  2. Black service providers think white people will add more colour to their establishment. I have heard of this many times. Does having white guests mean your club is highly rated? The worst part is when ONE white person is in the club and the Dj panics and plays 'white music' so they stay. Smh. Last time I was at a party and the Dj played these darn right 'techno' tracks that even white people did not know. It took ten people-7 of who white- to encourage him to change the music and put some ''antennae'
  3. Black people to an extent are simply ass kissers. I don't even have to explain this
  4. Some clubs strategically place hookers and prostitutes around so people can spend more. True. The least they can do is put people in the club who do not date Australians in hopes of being taken to 'Americah'. True story.
I think we have to understand that we are a developing country and certain attitudes do not benefit anyone. It is not right judging people. We understand some of these places pay expensive rentals but do not take that out on us. As an educated black woman, I can confirm that I have smuggled a bottle or two of vodka into a fancy place with white people: and can do that again.
There are other places where people go to chill and no one asks for ID and dress code and their beers are always colder and cheaper (double score). Truth of the matter is: some of these so called fancy places will let in under aged girls knowingly and not boys. The same shit also happens in supermarkets. The cashier can see that you were there first but still give more attention to the white person behind you. Smile any more to them and I can see your Oesophagus bitch.
I do not believe in racism and I do not think people should be treated poorly because of their colour-esp by people of their own colour. It is all utter bullshit.
Whenever we do shit like this to each other, we embarass ourselves and not all white people like it. We need to be more transparent and fair. I hate it when people make others feel inferior. It is just plain sad.
And what is with the people who work in such places? For people on minimum wage and aurvive on tips...they have sticks up their asses so bad it pokes their school drop out brains. I am just saying: if you are cleaning my table, try not to be a smart ass and pretend I owe you something. Truth of the matter is, we both know you are there to get my service order. So stop acting like the Queen of England and put more ice in my overpriced drink.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, keep writing!

    I've just seen the blog description and I'm curious: what is a first world mentality?

    ReplyDelete